top of page

Hooton Pagnell circular walk

Updated: May 3, 2023


The White Shire Walk

Hooton Pagnell is a small village located in the county of South Yorkshire, in the north of England. The village has a long history that dates back to the Roman period, but it is best known for its connection to the Pagnell family, who were lords of the manor for over 600 years.

The first written record of Hooton Pagnell dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086, which recorded the village as "Hotone". The name "Pagnell" was added later, after the Pagnell family acquired the manor in the 12th century.

During the medieval period, Hooton Pagnell was a small but prosperous village, with a church, a mill, and a number of farms. The village remained largely unchanged until the 18th century, when a number of new buildings were constructed, including a new manor house and several new farms.

In the 19th century, Hooton Pagnell underwent further changes, with the construction of a new church and school. The village also became a centre for the local coal mining industry, with a number of mines operating in the surrounding area.

Today, Hooton Pagnell is a quiet village with a population of around 300 people. It is known for its historic buildings, including the 12th-century church of All Saints and the manor house, which is now a private residence. The village also hosts an annual village show, which attracts visitors from around the local area.









331 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page